Gmail requires some third-party apps to generate and use an app password in order to send mail on behalf of the Gmail account. An app password is a long, randomly generated code that gives a non-Gmail app permission to use your Gmail account. You only need to provide this code once and it will not change your existing Gmail email password. Please see the instructions below to guide you through generating a third-party app password in order to allow Servant Keeper to send on behalf of your Gmail email account.
- Click HERE to log in to your Google Account.
- On the left navigation panel, click Security.
- On the Signing in to Google panel, make sure it says "On" next to "2-Step Verification". If not, click 2-Step Verification.
NOTE: If 2-Step Verification is already on, skip to Step 6.
- Click [Get Started].
- Follow the steps on the screen to turn on 2-Step Verification. When you're done, click the back arrow at the top of the screen to go back to the Security page.
- In the Signing in to Google panel, choose "App Passwords".
- On the "App passwords" window, click the "Select app" drop-down and choose "Other (custom name)".
- On the line that appears, type "Servant Keeper 8" (or your version of Servant Keeper) and click [Generate].
- A password will display on the screen. Copy this password (or write it down), you will need it in the next step. Click [Done] to continue.
- You will now see Servant Keeper listed on the "App passwords" screen. Click the back arrow at the top of the page to go back to the Security page.
- Go back to the "Email Settings" window in Servant Keeper. (In Servant Keeper 8, Email Settings can be found by going to "Tools | Email Setup" and adding or editing an email account.)
- On the "Password" line, enter the password you copied (or wrote down) in place of your normal Gmail password. Click [Send Test Email].
- Provided the other settings on the screen are correct, you will see a message stating "The test message was sent successfully". Click [OK]. Your email settings will be saved. You can now send emails through Servant Keeper on behalf of your Gmail account.