Installing Servant Keeper 8 on a network consists of 3 steps:
Step 1: Installing Servant Keeper 8 on your server or main PC.
Step 2: Sharing the Servant Keeper database folder.
Step 3: Installing Servant Keeper 8 on each Workstation (Seat).
Step 1: Installing Servant Keeper 8 on your Server or Main PC
There are three installation options for installing SK8 on your server or main PC. Click any of the links below to open instructions in a new tab. Close the new tab when you're done to come back to these instructions.
- Click HERE for instructions to install SK8 on your server/main PC with a new (blank) database.
- Click HERE for instructions to install SK8 on your server/main PC and upgrade information from an existing Servant Keeper 7 (Local) database.
- Click HERE for instructions to install SK8 on your server/main PC and upgrade information from an existing Servant Keeper 6 program.
Step 2: Sharing the Servant Keeper Database Folder
After Servant Keeper 8 is installed on your server or main PC, follow the instructions below to guide you through sharing the Servant Keeper 8 database to your network users.
NOTE: If you do not know how to properly set up a shared folder on your server or main PC and apply security settings and permissions on that share, please contact your Network Administrator for further assistance. You will notice the instructions below are for Windows Vista operating systems and newer. We do not recommend using Servant Keeper 8 on any operating system prior to Windows Vista (including Windows XP and Server 2003).
Note for those upgrading from SK7: If you installed your SK8 database in the same folder as an existing SK7 database, your folder may already be shared. If this is the case, skip to "Step 3: Installing Servant Keeper 8 on each Workstation (Seat)" (below).
For Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, and 2016:
- Double click on the Computer (or This PC) icon on the Desktop or select the File Explorer from the Start menu.
- Browse to the folder that holds your SK8 database. By default, this folder is called "Servant Keeper Database" and is located in C:\Users\Public\Documents.
- Right click on the Servant Keeper Database folder and choose Properties from the drop-down list.
- Select the Sharing tab located at the top of the window. In the Sharing tab, click on the [Advanced Sharing] button.
- Click the check box next to “Share this folder”. The default share name will be Servant Keeper Database, the Help Desk suggests keeping this name.
- Click the [Permissions] button and make sure that “Full Control” is checked for “Everyone” in the Allow column.
- Click the [OK] button to save the permissions, then click [OK] again to save the advanced sharing.
- Click the Security tab at the top of the window. Click the [Edit] button, highlight “Everyone” in the “Groups or user names” list, and make sure that “Full Control” is checked in the Allow column.
NOTE: If you do not see the “Everyone” option in the list of “Groups or user names”, use the [Add] button to add it. After “Everyone” is added, make sure it has “Full Control” selected.
- Click [OK] to save the security settings, then click [Close] to close the properties. You are now ready to do the workstation installation on your other computer(s).
Step 3: Installing Servant Keeper 8 on each Workstation (Seat)
Click HERE for instructions to install SK8 on each of your additional computers (seats) and connect to your existing SK8 database on the server/main PC.