Please note: This help sheet will guide you through the upgrade from Servant Keeper 6 to the Local database version of Servant Keeper 8.
- Open the installation email and click on the Servant Keeper 8 installation link.
- When asked to "Run" or "Save" the file, click "Run" and the installation program will begin to run.
NOTE: Depending on the browser you are using, your options to run the installer may vary. If you are unsure of how to download the setup on your computer, it is recommended to contact your Administrator or IT person.
- The first window you will see is the Servant Keeper License Agreement. (See Figure 1) Please read the agreement so that you understand the licensing of the program before continuing with the installation. If you agree with the license agreement, click the “I accept the agreement” radio button. Click the [Next] button to continue with the program installation.
NOTE: Use the [Cancel] button at any time in the installation to stop the installation process and close the Setup.
- Next, you will see the Install Type window. (See Figure 2) There are 4 different installation types to choose from. For this help sheet, we will choose the third option: "Upgrade to Servant Keeper 8 from Servant Keeper 6". This option will install the Servant Keeper 8 program and upgrade your Servant Keeper 6 data to version 8. Click the [Next] button to continue with the installation and upgrade.
You will now see the Customer Information window. (See Figure 3) Enter your Servant Keeper Customer ID number, then click the [Next] button to continue with the install.
NOTE: If you do not know your Customer ID number, click "Find your customer ID" to log in to the Support Center and find your ID number in the "Account Information" area.
- The next window indicates where the Servant Keeper 8 program will be installed. (See Figure 4) The Help Desk recommends keeping the default installation path. Click the [Next] button to continue.
NOTE: This is the program installation step. In the next step, you can choose where to install the SK8 database. The Help Desk recommends keeping both default installation paths. If you choose to change either of the paths (not recommended), be sure to document the location(s) you selected.
- The next window indicates where the Servant Keeper 8 database will be installed. (See Figure 5) The Help Desk recommends keeping the default database location. Click the [Next] button to continue with the installation.
- The next window to appear is asking you where your Servant Keeper 6 program is located. (See Figure 6) Click the [Browse] button to browse your computer or network for your Servant Keeper 6 program folder. Once you have located the database file, highlight it, and click the [Open] button. Click the [Next] button to continue with the installation and upgrade.
NOTE: If you are unsure of where your Servant Keeper 6 program is installed, you can check this path by logging in to any module of SK6, choosing the Help drop-down menu at the top of the screen, and selecting Servant Keeper Help Desk. In the window that opens, look at the “Program Path”--this is where your SK6 program is installed. Be sure to close SK6 completely before returning to the SK8 install wizard.
IMPORTANT: If you are using Windows Vista, 7, 8, or 10, Servant Keeper 6 must NOT be installed in the Program Files or Program Files (x86) directory. To keep your data safe, data in the Program Files or Program Files (x86) directory will not upgrade to Servant Keeper 8. If you find your program is installed in this location, please call the Servant Keeper Help Desk for instructions on moving your SK6 program to the correct location prior to upgrading.
- You will now see the Ready to Install window. (See Figure 7) This window reviews all of the settings that have been made thus far in the installation process. If the information is correct, click the [Install] button to begin the installation. If you need to make any changes before continuing with the installation, use the [Back] button to go back to any of the previous steps in the Setup wizard.
- A green progress bar will appear showing you the progress of your installation. (See Figure 8) When the installation is complete, it will automatically advance to the next step.
- The Servant Keeper 6 to 8 Database Conversion Utility window will appear. (See Figure 9) You will see the "File Progress" and "Total Progress" bars begin to move as your data is converted. When the conversion is complete, it will automatically advance to the next step.
- When the conversion is complete, you will receive a message stating "The database conversion completed successfully". (See Figure 10) Click [OK] on this message to proceed.
- You will now be back at your Desktop screen where you will notice a new icon for the Servant Keeper 8 program. (See Figure 11) Double-click on the icon to open your Servant Keeper 8 program.
- The Servant Keeper Launcher window will appear. (See Figure 12) Click once on either "Membership Manager", "Contribution Manager", or "Administration Manager" to open the program.
- You will see a window telling you how many days are remaining on the Servant Keeper 8 demo and asking if you would like to register Servant Keeper. (See Figure 13) On this window, there are three options:
[Buy Now]: Choose this option at any time if you have not yet purchased Servant Keeper 8 and wish to do so. This option will launch the online store where you can purchase the Servant Keeper 8 program.
[Activate License]: Choose this option if you have purchased Servant Keeper 8 and wish to register the program. Registering the program will stop the 30 day demo countdown.
- [Continue Demo]: Choose this option if you wish to use Servant Keeper 8 as a 30 day demo. This option will allow you to use the fully functional program for 30 days. At the end of the demo period, you would need to register and activate Servant Keeper 8 in order to continue using the program. If you are using the 30 day demo, skip to step 17 of this help sheet.
- [Buy Now]: Choose this option at any time if you have not yet purchased Servant Keeper 8 and wish to do so. This option will launch the online store where you can purchase the Servant Keeper 8 program.
- If you chose the [Activate License] option on the previous window, you will see the Register and Activate Servant Keeper window. (See Figure 15) Paste (or type) your Servant Keeper 8 Product Code on the "Product Code" line. After pasting in your Product Code, the Customer ID, Organization Name, and Email fields may auto-fill with your organization's information. If these boxes do not auto-fill, type the correct information in the boxes provided. On the "Name this installation" line, enter a name to identify the license code used on this computer. Click [Register and Activate] to complete your registration.
NOTE: If your [Register and Activate] button is grayed out and unavailable, check to make sure you have entered your Product Code correctly and all fields are complete. Your Product Code can be found in the information you received after your Servant Keeper 8 purchase. If you cannot find your Product Code, click "Retrieve Lost Product Code" to log in to the Support Center and find your code in the "License Information" area.
- You will now see the Login window for the module of Servant Keeper you selected. (See Figure 15) Enter the User ID and Password you used in the Servant Keeper 6 program. Press the <Enter> key on your keyboard or click [OK] to continue.
- You will be prompted to enter your email address. (See Figure 16) Enter your email address in the box provided, then click [Save] to continue. In Servant Keeper 8, your email address will be tied to your User and can be used for logging in and password retrieval.
- Your Servant Keeper 8 program is now installed and ready to use! As you begin using the program, you will notice all of the information from your Servant Keeper 6 program is now in Servant Keeper 8.
NOTE: The System Preferences are not upgraded from previous versions of Servant Keeper. Make sure that you set up your preferences in both Membership Manager and Contribution Manager. System Preferences are found under the File menu in both modules.
NOTE for Administrators: To allow a user access to the new\enhanced features in the program, new User Security Features in Administration Manager must be set up. Open and log into Administration Manager, then click User Security to edit each User and grant the appropriate rights for each person.